Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Case Officer Attributes

Intelligence Wars - American Secret Intelligence from Hitler to Al-Quaeda
Anthology edited by Thomas Powers

(NY Review of Books, 2004, p. xxxv)
Thomas Powers, in the Introduction:

"At the sixtieth birthday party for a retired intelligence officer named Haviland Smith...was General William Odom, who held two big intelligence jobs before retiring - first as the Army Chief of Staff for Intelligence (ACSI), followed by three years as director of the National Security Agency...Smith was a born operator, and Odom met him while seeking advice. 'When I was at ACSI I talked to Haviland about Army clan,' Odom told me...I asked him what makes a good a good case officer?"

"Haviland said, 'Did you see that movie with Robert Redford and Paul Newman - The Sting?'"

"I said yes. He said, "That's it-the con!'"

No comments:

Post a Comment